Idaho Uninsured Driver Accident Attorney

Lawyer in Idaho for Car Accident with Uninsured Driver

If you or someone you love or depend on suffered injuries in a car accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver, what can you do? Fortunately, you do have options depending on your own insurance coverage. This complicated question is one you should not try to figure out on your own. Ryan Sargent, a car accident lawyer in Idaho serving Kootenai County, can help you.

The Facts on Uninsured Drivers in Idaho

Idaho law requires every driver to carry a minimum of $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident in bodily injury liability coverage and a minimum of $15,000 property damage coverage. But 6.7% of motorists were uninsured drivers as of March 2016, according to, making Idaho an exceptionally bad place to have a motor vehicle accident.

Further, even if the other driver does have insurance, that money might not cover everything. For example, you were sitting at a red light when the car behind you barreled into you. You suffered injuries, missed work, and have been pursuing medical treatment to cope with the pain you suffered. But the other driver who rear-ended you only carried the statutory minimum of $25,000 in bodily injury liability coverage. Your medical expenses alone could be much more than that.

So what can you do if you are in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver?

Your Options to Recover Damages after an Accident with an Uninsured Motorist

You do have options after getting into an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver. Idaho allows drivers to purchase uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM), also known as Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury Coverage, in an amount equal to the maximum liability policy you already carry. This policy protects you in the event that the person who hits you is either uninsured or underinsured. There is a similar policy known as the Uninsured Motorist Vehicle Damage Coverage that protects your property.

UM/UIM protection is not mandatory, so you will have to check if you have it on your policy. Other insurance coverage may also be available to you, such as collision coverage that covers property damage you suffer regardless of fault. You may also have to rely on your health insurance coverage in some cases.

Work with attorney Ryan Sargent to go over every insurance policy available to you and identify coverage options that can help. Contact us today for help navigating this complicated situation. Call 208-600-6000.

Free Case Review

All of our initial consultations are 100% FREE & Confidential. Fill out this form to request a FREE Consultation.

By submitting this form, you consent to being contacted by The Sargent Firm via phone, text, or email. 208-600-6000